Sunday, May 29, 2011

Standing and Almost Walking

So, a few weeks ago, when we were in Utah, Asher surprised Grandpa Fred and me by suddenly standing up from a crouch. For the last several weeks since then, he's been doing a lot of practicing standing and he's getting really good at it.

Akiko and Moses still get super excited whenever he does. I'll be doing my thing at any time during the day when one or both of the older kids will suddenly burst in and delightfully exclaim, "Asher's standing!! Asher's standing!!" Then just as suddenly, run back out of the room.

Asher has been getting a lot of positive feedback from his new trick that he automatically starts clapping for himself as soon as he gets his balance.

As we all know, Asher has never been one to stay in any place for very long, so I knew it was only a short matter of time before he'd attempt walking. So it was on a beautiful afternoon this last week (Wednesday, for the record), I was out visiting my friend, we were talking about the very subject when Asher stood up between us and took a couple steps toward me before he lost his balance.

He was so excited by the reaction that he got from me that he has been practicing his stepping a lot. Of course, Akiko and Moses are even more enthusiastic about his bigger and better new trick, that the exclamation has turned into, "Mommy!! Asher took one/two/three step(s) and then he fell down!! (insert giggle)"

Here is a short video of Joseph and me helping him practice:


So, while I wouldn't say that Asher is walking, it's definitely a milestone. Actual walking will come very soon.

And now, for your enjoyment, here are a bunch of cute pictures of Asher that we've taken in the last little bit:

Asher wakes up with the best bed-head.

No, that's not chocolate. It's mud. He escaped from the house and found the mud. =P

Hey! What are you lookin' at?

More bed-head! Seriously, I didn't do a thing to it. This is how it was when he woke up.

Mmmm! Graham crackers.

Easter outfits! I couldn't help but get the boys matching suits.

Moses found great-grandpa Con's Bonneville and decided to take it for a spin. Asher is uncertain of his brother's driving skills. Especially since his feet don't reach the pedals. Maybe that's a good thing.

Asher's favorite spot at Uncle Paul's bbq. I so need to get me some of these chairs.

How do you keep a 10 month old happy when you get stuck in a snow storm over Donner Pass? Feed him circus peanuts. Thanks Akiko.

Asher's first spaghetti night!! Coincidentally, this was just a couple hours after the circus peanut incident.

Getting ready for his first haircut. Sob! I loved that crazy hair.

No comments: