Akiko read an entire book to me with almost no help!! I could barely believe it!
You see, we were at the doctor's office waiting for some test results. While we waited, I read a couple of the books they had in the office there to her. As I read to her, she kept interrupting and excitedly pointing out words that she recognized. When she picked up the third book, I asked her to try to read it to me. I'm usually met with some resistance at this suggestion, but apparently she didn't feel like doing that, so she complied.
Wouldn't you know? She got through the whole thing with me helping only a couple times on some bigger words. I was absolutely floored. The doctor came in when she was just about finished and waited patiently for her. She was also thoroughly impressed.
As far as the doctor is concerned, I was just happy she saw that, and that it was a good thing. Usually when we're at the doctor and she asks me or one of the kids a question, the answer always comes out wrong or the kids say something that's not exactly true and then I feel like I'm falling short on my mothering skills. I think you all know what I'm talking about.
Example: At Akiko's 5 year well-child and pre-Kindergarten checkup the doctor asked if she rode a bike. "Yes!" Akiko replied. "And do you always wear a helmet whenever you're on your bike?" Then the little stinker responded, "Well, now that I'm 5, I don't need to wear a helmet anymore." For the record, I never said anything like that to Akiko, though I am, admittedly, a bit lax about the helmet wearing when she's just in the back yard.
I'm off subject now. The point is, Akiko is learning a lot and she's picking it up fast. Before school, we tried to teach her a little and get her excited to read, but we were met with... what's the word...
Akiko comes from a long line of bookworms on both sides of the family so today's incident was an extremely proud moment for me.
1 comment:
Hooray! That's really exciting.
Post a Comment