It seems like when Akiko was nearly 3 years old she was getting herself dressed, or at least attempting to. It's hard to say if it's because she's a very independent spirit or maybe because she's a girl who really cares how she looks. Whatever the reason, I rarely have to dress her and hardly ever actually help put clothes on her, tights being about the only exception.
Moses, on the other hand... well, maybe it's because I seem to always be in a rush when I'm dressing him that I just do it because it's faster. When it dawned on me that he was almost 3, I began to wonder if he was capable of getting his clothes on and off. Well, I know he's really good at taking his pants off, but could he put them on? So, one night recently while we were getting ready for bed, I helped him put his shirt on and just handed him his shorts.
"Do you think you can put your shorts on all by yourself?" I asked.
I was met with an enthusiastic affirmation.
Well, I'll let you be the judge on how well he did...
The good ol' through-one-leg-and-upside-down result. I love it. He was so proud.
I really am impressed though. Kids always seem to have the most trouble bringing their pants up over the diaper bulge in the back. Moses got that part alright. Now I just have to teach him which way the pants go.
I love teaching my kids new skills. I love how excited they get when they accomplish something they've been working on. I especially love it when it means it's one less thing that I have to do for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment