I'm beginning to question the expert pediatricians around the country who tell us how absolutely important tummy time and floor time is for our little babies. They tell us that our babies need supervised tummy time for a certain amount of time every day so that the baby can learn to push himself up and strengthen his neck muscles and all sorts of other wonderful benefits.
Well, little Simon hardly gets any floor or tummy time. The second he's on the ground, Asher is on top of him. I simply don't have time to sit there and supervise tummy time and make sure my two year old doesn't smother the baby with love, or smother him in general. For the last few months, I've kind of been hard on myself for not giving Simon the exercise he's supposed to have.
Simon is always being held, in his bouncer, in his carseat, in the sling, in the carrier, etc., mostly to keep him safe from his over-attentive brother.
Guess what? Even with the lack of tummy time, Simon is able to push himself up.
| Don't you just want to pinch or kiss those cheeks? I get to. Several times a day. |
I mean, think about it, did our frontiersmen ancestors ever take time out of their super busy, chore-laden lives to make sure that each of their twelve kids got tummy time on their packed-dirt floors? Probably not. I'm really beginning to think that holding your neck and pushing yourself up is instinctual.
So is rolling, apparently.
Simon has already stared rolling and squirming his way around to see different things around him. He has rolled tummy to back and back to tummy, but never with a purpose, yet. This kid is on the go, though. And here I thought Asher's five month old scooting was early. Simon is not quite four months and already squirming all over the place.
I leave him in his crib after a diaper change sometimes. He loves the little crib mirror. (Finally! One of my kids likes that mirror I bought when Akiko was a baby!) I'm always finding him all over the crib when I come back to get him.
| Love that chub! |
Have I ever mentioned how much I love this little chub-a-lub? He's such a happy baby. He eats well. He sleeps well. He loves to smile and talk. He's really easy going. He's been such a great baby. It makes me so happy.
He is so much huskier than all the petite little girl babies in our ward, even if they're a month or two older. All my friends keep telling me they wish they had a chubby baby to cuddle. I really think they're just jealous of my stone-hard biceps. I don't think they'd really trade their little darlings for mine. I will admit that chubby babies are more fun to cuddle (and don't have nearly as many leg blowouts).
I finally got around to switching out the NB-3M clothes for the 3-6M ones. As I folded the smaller outfits, I kept thinking, Boy, I can't wait to pass these clothes off to Kristen if she ever has a boy. I even texted that thought to her.
| About to go into storage... for the third time. |
Oh, I want another little boy so bad. These clothes are just so cute. So many memories.
What about all those adorable baby girl clothes you've been holding on to for the last seven years? Wouldn't you rather have another little girl? Akiko really, really needs a sister.
Ugh. So conflicted.
2 comments:
So conflicted... Good thing the choice isn't really up to you! :)
That chub is killer cute!
I vote on not letting Asher kill him.
Post a Comment