Friday, August 24, 2012

Double the Pleasure, Double the Fun

A few months ago, a bunch of us were sitting at book club when the subject of babies came up. It was bound to happen. Everyone in the room, except for two ladies, was either pregnant or had recently given birth.

Someone commented to our friend Olivia something like, "One baby is hard enough to take care of. I can't imagine how you did it with twins."

Olivia nervously laughed and replied, "Yeah, and I get to do it again." Our jaws dropped.

Seriously, she's pregnant with her second set of twins. A boy and a girl this time. Babies number 4 and 5 for her.

Our friend is throwing a baby shower for her and asked that we just bring diapers and wipes, since that's what babies need the most, especially with double diaper duty on the way. I knew I was going to have to do a couple diaper cakes for her.

A baby shower for twins means I get to make two!

For baby girl.

For baby boy.

Now that I have a few diaper cakes under my belt, I've found exactly how I like to decorate them. I like the simplicity of this design. The top tier gets covered with a baby hat that I knit and the ledges between the tiers get ringed with Lindt truffles. It's up to Olivia whether or not she wants to share the candy with her family.

I also made the platters that the cakes are on. I did this because I won't have to ask for my platter back (and I only have one that I inherited from Joseph's grandmother). They get to keep these ones and do what they want with them. I got a foam poster board, used my big platter as a template, and glued scrapbook paper in a checkerboard design with Mod Podge.

I'm really pleased with how these turned out. I can't wait to give them to Olivia.

2 comments:

Lynette said...

Oh, wow!! At least she knows what to do since she's had twins before -- right?? :)

Your diaper cakes are awesome!! Since they don't involve baking, I could totally do that! Where did you learn to make them??

Yukiko said...

Lynette, how about next time I do one, I'll do a tutorial. They're really simple. I learned how to do one on a site I found through google, but it was years ago, so I wouldn't be able to tell you the website. Of course, over the years, I've honed my craft and made it my own...