Monday, April 9, 2012

Old Made New

The slipcover is done!! Take that pessimistic Kristen. (I'm kidding, Kristen. I love you!)

This is huge. The biggest, most intimidating project I have ever taken on. I'm not much of a sewer. Is that spelled correctly? Or is "sewer" one of those words where it has two very different definitions and pronunciations? Maybe I'll use the words seamstress or tailor instead.

Anyway, I learned the basics from my mom when I was in junior high and high school. We made my first prom dress when I was sixteen. She did most of the work, but I learned a lot.

Not the best picture of the dress, but it still fit me for Halloween 2009, about 12 years after we made it. And yes, I also made the kids' extremely last minute costumes.
Most of my sewing skills come in the form of repairing rips and tears. I'm always grateful when they're simply a seam that has come apart. I'm really good at sewing straight stitches and the like. I'm not sure if I've ever actually finished a project that required a pattern. In fact, I can think of one sitting in my craft closet right now, sadly waiting on the day when I may get around to finishing it.

Well, the slipcover and the cushion covers were not only a very large project, but a much more complicated undertaking than anything I had ever taken on before. I did it though and I did a pretty good job on it. Would you finally like to see pictures?




I'm still kind of in shock that it turned out so well. And even more in shock that it actually fits on the couch. And even more pleased that it looks so good. And even more pleased that I was able to do it so inexpensively (a lot less, in fact, than my original estimate).

The couch project is not done. I've got new pillows for it that I need to find fabric for and get covers made for those, so my couch is still mismatched since we're still using the flopsy, dirty, original pillows. Those shouldn't take long, though, once I make a fabric decision.

My confidence as a seamstress has skyrocketed. I've done a lot of things on this project that I've never done before. I was really overwhelmed and intimidated at first and kept procrastinating getting it started, even researching upholstery fabrics and prices to see if it was even worth my time and money.

The biggest thing I've learned, especially about myself, is that you can't look at something new and intimidating and say to yourself, "That looks way too hard. I'm not even going to try." If you want to do something, learn something new, you just have to go do it. Learn how to do it. Study. Take the time. Try it out. You may find that it's not the thing for you, or else you'll find out that you had a hidden talent. This applies to any aspect of life: arts and crafts, parenthood, relationships, public speaking, flying a plane, science, etc.

I have a lot of failed craft projects in my closet that are sitting unfinished for one reason or another. I also have a lot of projects that were finished and didn't turn out how I wanted. As time has gone by and as I've kept practicing and learning new techniques and finding out what works and what doesn't I've gotten better. I mean, how many light bulb prototypes did Edison go through before he found the one that worked? Thank heavens he never gave up, right?

I don't feel like I can take on the world or anything now. But I do know that if I want to do something, accomplish something new and overwhelming, if you will, the only thing I can do is try. Probably fail a few times along the way, but eventually come out on top and succeed.

I really hope that I can take this lesson that I've learned about myself and instill it deeply into my children as well. It's frustrating for me when they're learning something new and they can get so hard on themselves when it doesn't work out. I keep having to tell them that new things take a lot of hard work and practice before you get the hang of it. Someday they'll get it.

"Just keep swimming."

2 comments:

Lynette said...

Awesome job on your couch!!!! Wow!!! It looks brand-spanking new, Yuki! I can't sew straight (most times I can't even think straight), so I'm super-impressed!! :) :) :)

Angie said...

That looks amazing! Great job. And I was thinking as I read it, before I came to your final words, what a life lesson you were teaching your kids by example. You rock!