Sunday, April 15, 2012

Celebrate!!

I have two subjects to talk about today that have caused us reason to rejoice, though the two are unrelated to each other.

First, I'd like to talk about how Akiko's birthday went:

She did not have a birthday party this year, for reasons we will not go into (my kids, though I love them, are not perfect and we'll leave it at that). But we did try to make her day as special as possible.

We started the day out with a special pancake breakfast, where I asked Joseph to make the pancakes spell out her name:


The kids got such a kick out of that, it may end up becoming a birthday tradition for us. Moses loved eating "Akiko" pancakes.

After she left for school, I got started decorating her birthday cake. I got it done just in time for the boys and me to go to the school and surprise Akiko at lunch. I think it's nice that our school allows parents to join their kids for lunch if they'd like.

Her school lunches are way better than the lunches I had in elementary. It makes me feel better knowing that she's got a good and healthy selection.

Anyway, Akiko was so pleased to see us there. Her teacher had Akiko pass out the birthday treats that we brought:


I got this idea from Pinterest. Akiko painted all the clothespins, so each one was unique. The kids in her class thought they were so cute. Most of the kids in her class made a point to come up to me and thank me for the treats. I thought that was the sweetest thing ever.

We stayed for lunch recess. Moses and Asher were a huge hit. I let Asher out of the stroller and he was immediately swamped by about a dozen girls who were fawning all over him. He felt a little overwhelmed and ran back to the stroller and stayed there most of the time.

Moses had a lot of fun running around with Akiko and her friends. He was really upset when the recess bell rang. They only had 20 minutes to play. When we picked up Akiko from school later that day, we stayed after for about half an hour, even though it was threatening rain, and let him play on the playground some more.

I didn't take my camera to the school, but it was probably better that way because there was no way I would have been able to take pictures anyway. It was kind of crazy.

After school, Akiko just had fun playing with her brothers and watching movies (after homework was done, of course). She got several calls from her grandparents and relatives. She couldn't believe that people "just keep calling me."

Later that evening, Joseph took an early train home and we headed over to Round Table Pizza for a birthday dinner. I told Akiko that I could either make her whatever she wanted for dinner or we could go out to a restaurant of her choice. I'm glad she chose the latter. The last two years she's requested time consuming gyoza. I really don't think I could have pulled that off this year.

We went home to cake and ice cream. I had asked Akiko what kind of cake she wanted: chocolate with vanilla frosting and decorated with flowers. She was expecting a store bought cake. I gave her this instead:


She couldn't believe I made it. Akiko and Moses kept telling me that it looks just like the cakes they make on Cake Boss. I felt very flattered. My cake decorating skills are nowhere near the caliber of cake art produced at Carlo's Bakery. I was proud of the cake, nonetheless. And it was really tasty, too. And yes, I can eat cake with diabetes. It just has to be a really tiny slice.

I'd like to put our video up of Akiko blowing out her candles, but the file is too big and it won't upload. We put trick candles on her cake this year. It was hilarious. Her confused face was priceless. Asher was also really helpful blowing out the candles with pinpoint accuracy. I can't wait for his birthday in a couple months. It's probably better that I can't post the video anyway, because now I won't have to worry about paying royalties for singing the Happy Birthday song.

Akiko opened her presents afterwards and loved them all. Then it was time for bed. It was a really busy day for me, and I overextended myself, but I'm glad I was able to make it a special day for her even though she was still bummed she isn't having a party. Akiko said she had the "most amazing day ever."

We had her best friend over for a playdate after school the next day. I let the girls have a slice of cake for their after school snack and they both just pretended that they were having a private birthday party with just the two of them. Then I took all the kids over to her friend's house, so I could go to a doctor appointment, and her friend gave Akiko her birthday present that she had bought about a month earlier in anticipation of Akiko's birthday. How cute is that? I don't feel as bad about the no party thing anymore since the playdate ended up being sufficient enough.

My next cause for celebration is that the couch is now 100% done. Finished. Out of my hair and no longer nagging me.



I love the pattern of the pillow covers. I wish I'd got the blue color in the same pattern though. Our house is so brown.

I'm really pleased with the overall look. And if I get tired of the pillows, the covers are so easy to make and it's such an inexpensive way to change things up that I'm not terribly concerned about it right now.

There was a pattern that I liked more, but it was much lighter and the conservative mom of nearly three rambunctious boys said, I think this darker brown color will be better for now.

I'm thinking of adding a few smaller throw pillows into the mix, too, but for now, I'm done. This was truly an exhausting project and it really tested me. I am so pleased with the outcome though and it was a lot easier than I had anticipated. Would you like to know the approximate cost?

Item Amount Cost Subtotal
Main fabric 12 yards $3 per yard $36.00
Pillow fabric 4 yards $9 per yard $36.00
Pillows 5 $15.00 $75.00
Zippers 5 $2.80 $14.00
Upholstery thread 3 spools $2.40 $7.20
Grand Total $168.20

Not bad, eh?

All I have to say is: I am awesome!!

This next week, I will relax and spend time with my family for spring break. Then I've got a whole lotta stuff to still get ready for this baby. I can't believe how fast this pregnancy has gone.

Less than a month left? Usually the last month drags on as I wait around for the baby to come, but with all I feel I still have to do it's going to go by in the blink of an eye. I'm so excited to meet this little guy. And not be pregnant anymore.

I saw his chubby little face for a moment a couple days ago. He's so cute! My doctor did an ultrasound to check how big he is. He will probably be my biggest baby, but he's still in the normal range, thank heavens. He's already measuring 20 inches long! Tall baby! But still, so far, so good. Not too fat. Whew!

2 comments:

Lynette said...

You are such a sweet mom, Yuki! And your couch looks terrific!! We have a lot of light brown in our living room and like you, it makes kid-messes not so obvious, but the lack of color depresses me. :) :) :)

And yay for having only one month left before baby comes!! Hang in there! :)

Angie said...

Both the cake and the couch look incredible. Good work!