Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Nutty Update

And I don't mean "nutty" as in "cockamamie" or "kooky."

Asher's blood was drawn at the allergist last week so they could test it against certain proteins, namely peanuts and tree nuts. We got the test results back:


He's allergic to tree nuts, too.

It's not that big a deal in our house, since I'm not a big nut person, but I do like to bake occasionally with walnuts, or have a bag of roasted almonds. However, it means he'll never get to have Nutella or try pecan pie. It also means we have to be extra careful when we eat out or have someone watch him.

To look on the bright side of things, at least it's nuts we're dealing with and not milk, gluten, wheat, soy, egg, or any other number of allergies that he could have that would drastically change the way we eat. Eliminating nuts I can handle.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I'm allergic to nuts. I've never found it too inconvenient, except I can actually have peanuts. I love peanut butter - so maybe that will be a more difficult one for Asher than tree nuts. I wonder if it's something he could outgrow? It seems like I've heard of children that outgrow early allergies.

Angie said...

Bummer about the nut allergy, but you make a great point - it's a lot easier to deal with than a wheat, dairy, or egg allergy. Those make eating much more difficult.