Thursday, August 25, 2011

First Grade!

Akiko started 1st grade this morning!

She was excited and nervous at the same time. It's good to be back in some kind of routine, but since our family is not a group of morning people, it will be hard to get out of bed early again so we can get her to school on time.


I am so utterly blown away at how big she is now. She seemed so little last year when she was starting kindergarten.


She's excited to use her backpack finally this year.


So, I was really bummed to find out that none of Akiko's friends were in the same class with her this year. Her BFF, all her church friends and all her girlfriends from kindergarten are in different classes. Most of them ended up in the same class. Akiko only knows three kids from her class last year that are in her class this year. Fortunately, one of the boys is one that I know she gets along with well. At least she thinks he's funny and they played at recess a lot last year. So I suppose she counts him as a friend.

I guess this just means it's an opportunity for her to make new friends this year, which is something she is really good at. And her teacher is super cute, just like last year's. I think Akiko will really like her.

My first grade teacher was scary. Really. Scary. We got yelled at a lot. I got to escape for about an hour every day to go to a second grade reading class where Ms. Hansen was so nice and so pretty. Last I heard, Miss O'Toole still works there. She's got to be close to retirement by now. She seemed so old when I was her student. Retrospectively, though, she's probably a few years younger than my parents.


Anyway, I'm really excited for Akiko this year. I think she'll have a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Akiko DOES look so big. Congrats on the new year! I'm surprised she doesn't have any of her old friends in her class. What a bummer. But way to put a positive spin on it. And there's always recess...

Brady Bunch, Iowa said...

You have a beautiful little girl! And the growing up, it just gets worse from here. I looked at Morgan yesterday after her first day of 3rd grade, and wondered where the time has gone...