This afternoon, while Akiko was working on her homework, she admitted to me that she doesn't really like going to school. I was a little confused because she seems to really enjoy it. She adores her teacher. She's got lots of friends and she is usually very enthusiastic when she tells me about her day (unless it's a day where they learned something she already knew).
So, I asked her to explain why she didn't like going to school. She said, "Well, all we do all day is art projects, or playing, or recess, or snacks."
More confusion. "Really?" I reply, "I thought you liked doing all that stuff."
"Well, I do, but that's all we do."
"Okay... Well, is there anything that you do like at school?"
"I like the sound of scissors as they cut paper."
"Yeah, it does make a cool sound. What is it about school that you really don't like the most?"
"Well, I don't like that I have to be away from you all day for so long."
Oh, Akiko!! You little sweetheart!! You have no idea how much I miss you while you're away at school, too.
The home-school idea was toyed with at one point, but I don't have either the energy nor the time it would take for me to research how to do that. Besides, Akiko is like me when someone close to her tries to teach her something. She feels overwhelmed almost immediately. I tend to jump ahead or over-think things when I teach, especially when it comes to Akiko. We felt public school was the best option for all of us. Private school is, financially, out of the question (more than out-of-state tuition at the U).
Perhaps today was an exception. Her teacher has been out of the country for a couple weeks and was supposed to return today. She was out sick, however. I don't think Akiko liked the substitute today (it wasn't the same one that had taken over while her teacher was gone).
I guess her announcement today kind of shocked me because it seemed to me, like I said before, that she really loved going to school. Maybe this was just a one-time thing. I know Akiko was expecting to see her teacher today and was really excited about it. She made her a card last night that said, "I messd you so much."
So, while I expect that she'll still go to school for the next 12.5 years, if it really isn't working for her, then we'll definitely look into other options. I do think it's really sweet that the biggest reason is that she just misses me. We really do have a special bond.
2 comments:
That is so sweet. She is such a great girl!
Now that makes you want to cry... :) What a sweet girl she is!
You know I homeschool, but I won't tell you you should do it. If she's happy where she's at and you're happy with where she's at, she'll be fine -- and you will be, too. :)
Anyway, that's all I wanted to say about that! :) You're a wonderful mom, obviously, or else Akiko wouldn't miss you like that. :) I like it when my kids actually miss me. :)
Post a Comment