Yes, I am aware that it's already mid-January, but I feel I owe you a Christmas post. Truth be told, I've kind of been putting it off. Then there comes a time when I realize that I can put it off no longer or else you'll be getting a Christmas post in July and I just can't do that. That's silly!
So, the original plans for Christmas were that we were going to go to Utah and spend it there with my family and Joseph's siblings that live out there. Then I got a call one day from Joseph's sister saying that she caught wind of our plans and that we had to change them because the whole lot of Joseph's family decided to visit us in Sunnyvale for the holiday. Plans changed. No problem. Disappointed? Yeah, a bit. Excited? You betcha!
How and where we were going to host 16 extra people was beyond me, but we were going to burn that bridge when we got there.
Then came the news that Joseph's paternal grandmother was dying. That warranted the last minute trip to Long Beach to say goodbye, and there we met up with Joseph's whole family. Since everyone showed up in Long Beach, it meant that nobody was going to be able to make it to our place for Christmas. I was bummed, but also relieved that I didn't need to plan anything.
So, Christmas just ended up being our wonderful little family and Sam (Joseph's brother who lives with us, for those who didn't know). In all honesty, it was sooooo nice. It was nice not having to travel and deal with all the stress that comes with that. It was nice not having to host. It was nice just to relax and drink in those moments and create these memories of those that are dearest to me.
Well, me being me, I neglected to take a single picture of Christmas morning. However, do not dismay, one reason I didn't take any pictures is because we broadcast our Christmas morning on justin.tv. Not the entire morning, but at least the first half hour or so. I made about five highlight videos, so you don't have to watch the whole thing unless you really, really want to.
After we opened presents I had to get started on dinner. I had invited my friend, Angie, and her family over to eat with us. She was 39 weeks pregnant. There was no way I was going to let her cook Christmas dinner while she was that far along. Besides, just because I felt a bit relieved not to be hosting Joseph's whole family does not mean that I didn't want to host anyone at all. It was a simple, but delicious dinner: roast beef, crescent rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad and pecan pie. Seriously, it was more simple than it seems now that I'm looking at the list.
So, that was our Christmas. Relaxing. Just like it ought to be.
And I finally got the tree down yesterday. Moses had been bugging me about it all week, "Mommy, Christmas is over. You need to take the tree away." I was expecting tears like I've gotten in years past.
I hope your Christmas was great, too!!

No comments:
Post a Comment