So, I feel bad. I didn't document Moses' graduation from Nursery to Sunbeams. One reason is that I'm not particularly sure when it happened. A lot of people in our ward, kids and teachers, were out of town for the holidays, so the class transition didn't happen the first Sunday in January. Then there was news that the Primary presidency was getting switched, and then, at least for me, things got really confusing because I wasn't sure where I was supposed to be either.
But I'm pretty sure that Moses is officially a Sunbeam now. I'm also certain where my place in Primary is, too.
Well, despite all the confusion for me about Primary, it did give me an extra couple weeks to get one of my projects done that kept getting pushed back because other projects kept coming up that were a little more urgent. Please, don't ask me how or why I give my craft projects priority, but it just happens.
Well, with Moses' promotion into Primary he received from me a personalized handmade crocheted scripture bag, complete with his very own copy of The Book of Mormon and a Children's Songbook.
He proudly carried it to and around church yesterday. During sacrament, he would take out his songbook and sing along during the hymns. He was super excited to have one all his own with his name on it and everything.
The scripture bag is something that I started when Akiko went into Sunbeams.
As you can see, Akiko's bag is starting to look a little tattered and frayed, but she has lovingly and faithfully carried it to church every week for the last two years. She'll get a new one, and a new set of scriptures, in a couple years when she gets baptized.
So, while the kids can't read, though that's less true for Akiko nowadays, there's a great source of pride for them to have their very own Book of Mormon. At night time, when it's time for scriptures and prayer, if we're not having them recite one that they've memorized, they'll ask "Can we read out of MY Book of Mormon tonight?"
Having the kids get to know the scriptures and be excited for them is something that is really important to us. It's also good incentive for me to get into a better habit of regularly reading mine, so that I can be a good example to my kids. That's why I make scripture bags for my kids.
And in case you were wondering what is on the other side of Moses' bag... Well, I really wanted to do something church related, but Moses really wanted...
... a train. Moses and those big brown eyes got to me and I gave him what he wanted. I'm a sucker. No, it's not Thomas, he has too many details, but the number 1 and the three wheels are an homage to him.
1 comment:
I totally remember Akiko's bag and how cute I always thought it was!! Moses is so cute!! Once again I may have to copy!!! :)
Post a Comment