Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Some Other Things I Made For Akiko

Ok, so I've been wanting to show these off for a while, but I'm finally getting these things posted before it gets too late to do so, and therefore, gets weird.

In addition to Akiko's baptism dress, I also sewed her a new scripture bag to go with her new scriptures:

I didn't have to buy any fabric. I already had it on hand from a project that didn't turn out so well.

Joseph designed the floral pattern and I transferred and hand-embroidered it.
It's riddled with symbols.

"You even wrote my name on them! In gold!"
In addition to the baptism dress, and while I still had my friend's serger in my possession, and since my mom had sent a pattern and material, Akiko also received an Easter dress. I don't think this one turned out as well as the baptism dress, but it's still cute:

I try to get her to uncross her legs, because it looks so odd in photos, but she insists on doing it.
 I guess it's a "princess" thing.
Finally, I've got to show off her birthday cake. But, story first:

"Mom! For my birthday cake, I want it to be chocolate, with layers, and vanilla frosting. And there are two things I love most in the world. One is reading and the other is cats, so I want my birthday party to be themed Reading Cats."

"Akiko, I'm not throwing a birthday party for you. It's just going to be a few family members who are coming for your baptism."

"Ok, but can you still make my cake into reading cats?"

"Uh. Sure..." Let me wave my magic cake-makin' wand and make that one happen.

Fast forward a couple brain-racking weeks as I stand, staring blankly, in the cake aisle at the local Michael's.

"Hi. Is there anything I can help you with?" inquires the store employee.

"Uh. Hmm. Well..." and I proceed to tell her about Akiko's cake wish.

She grunts. You know, that grunt that's trying to cover up a laugh. "Okay... Well good luck with that." I know, right? To some, I think her reaction might have come off as rude, but to me, I felt like she was empathizing and I totally would have reacted in the same manner. And it's not like she walked off either. She stayed and brainstormed with me for a few minutes.

Anyway, after looking things over for another twenty minutes or so and walking up and down every aisle in the rest of the store, I came up with a vague idea, purchased my items, and left.

Once my sister and my mother-in-law were at my house, I bounced my idea off of them. I'm so glad I did. We came up with something so completely adorable. I'm really pleased with the end product and I could not have pulled this off without their help. Thank you Kristen and Char!!!

I had the basic idea, but Char helped with the play on words and overall design.

With the finishing touches.
Kristen found all the cat figurines for me, which we dipped in corn syrup to make them adhere to the cake. And when the frosting we were going to use for the cover didn't turn out, she ran to the store and found something even better.
I have the best sister on the planet.

I painted the tail and the blurred words with diluted gel food coloring.
The giant glasses were found at Michael's.
The bold letters are an edible sugar paper, also found at Michael's.
The only thing I wasn't able to deliver on was making the cake into a layered one. I made this one from scratch, because, unlike boxed ones, they're less likely to dome up in the middle. I needed the cake to be as flat as possible so that I wouldn't have to carve too much cake off in order to make it an open book shape. So, having a flatter cake meant that if I tried to slice it in half horizontally, it would have made extremely thin layers and I didn't want to risk ruining it. Baking from scratch also made a denser cake, as well, which I wanted.

Akiko didn't even notice that the cake wasn't layered. I didn't think she would.

So, what do you think? Did I do well for being given such an obscure idea?

I think it turned out beautifully. Char, Kristen, and I had a lot of fun putting it together. And it tasted good, too.

Akiko was thrilled.
(Photo courtesy of Gpa Fred)

She loves the giant glasses. Who wouldn't?
(Photo courtesy of Gpa Fred)
My dad emailed me all the pictures he took of his trip out here, but I'll put them up in a different post. Thanks for sending those to me. I really appreciate it!

Anyway, that's what's been keeping me busy for the last month and a half. Now that I've taken a week long break, I've got to get to planning something for my little Simon, who is turning one in a couple weeks. Can you believe it?!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Yes, you did do VERY well for that theme! I seriously get a kick out of the title...and your experience in the store :)

Angie said...

Holy cow, that is the coolest cake ever! I am floored. Well done, my friend.