Thursday, July 26, 2012
Where is My Mind?
Let's get one thing clear before I start: I don't like running.
I am not a runner. I am a dancer.
Dancing is the only form of exercise I absolutely love to do. However, finding an adult dance class (ballet or jazz, sorry, but Zumba doesn't count) is difficult. If you do find one, they're usually pretty expensive; about $100 a month around here. If I decided to take one, I'd also have to find a babysitter every week. There's the cost of gas and time traveling to consider. Let's just say that I can't quite justify taking a dance class. At least not for now.
On the other hand, I do need to get some form of exercise in. I hate being skinny-fat more than anything. And though I still feel sore around my incision, it's a soreness I can still workout with as long as I don't over-exert myself.
Our stake is doing a 5k/10k walk/run in September. It's free to sign up. I'd been toying with the idea to sign up for a while. Earlier this week, I had a feeling that if I didn't sign up, I'd regret it, so I did. Then I thought about how out of shape I was.
Sure, I could easily walk the 5k, but why shouldn't I challenge myself and run as much of it as I can? I needed some sort of goal to motivate me to get moving. I'm glad I've got one. Besides, running is free and provides me with at least 20 minutes of alone/me time, which is hard to come by these days. I can do it while Joseph's still home getting ready for work in the morning.
I found a training plan. It's a 9 week course. I have six weeks till the run. So, I'm just going to start at week one, go through the program, and do what I can. I have to start somewhere.
This morning was my second workout. I took my phone with me so I could listen to Pandora. The first song to play was "Running" by No Doubt. Very funny, Pandora.
The next song was "The Distance" by Cake. Seriously?
When the next song came on, I just about lost it: "Where is My Mind?" by The Pixies. Should I take this as a sign? Am I crazy for doing this?
I do feel like I'm losing my mind by doing something I really don't like to do. On the other hand, it is going to accomplish a goal that will make me feel a million times better in the long run. Pun intended.
Joseph is simply excited that I'm finally getting some use out of the Vibrams and heart rate monitor he bought me a while ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Dancing around the kitchen doesn't count as exercise?
You know how I feel about dancing... I still wish I could do it more! Good luck in your training!
Good Luck! You can do it!!
Funny. I'm a dancer, not a runner as well but I have been eyeing jogging strollers lately for some reason. Have fun! I really admire you for jumping in and giving it a shot!
Post a Comment