Poor Moses. He kind of gets left out of things. Simon's been getting a lot of press because he's the newborn. Asher has been written about a bit because he's been so cute with Simon. Akiko just finished first grade. Where has Moses been during all this?
Moses is the kind of kid that goes off on his own all the time. While I'm busy chasing Asher around or taking care of the baby, Moses is off in his own little world: playing video games, playing with Legos, drawing or writing or reading in his room, etc. He's kind of like the invisible boy. He only comes out when he needs me.
I absolutely love this kid to pieces, though. He's super sweet, kind, meek, loving, sensitive, quiet, silly, imaginative, and incredibly intelligent.
Before Simon was born, the first thing Moses would do when he woke up was come into my room and tell me, "Mommy! It's time for your morning snuggle time!" and crawl into bed with me, where we would snuggle for a few minutes and talk before we'd get up to get him breakfast.
Since the baby and I have been home, we've had very few morning snuggles. I asked him why once and he told me he's afraid to snuggle with me because he's afraid he'll accidentally bump my tender belly. I'm also frequently already snuggling with Simon when he comes in to the bedroom in the morning (actually, I'm usually feeding the baby, but that counts as snuggling, too).
Since I've been feeling better lately, Moses and I find other times to have our snuggle time. It melts my heart that he was so concerned about my comfort that he "paused" our snuggle time until I was feeling better.
Like I mentioned before, Moses is incredibly smart. He has been able to do simple arithmetic problems with positive and negative integers for quite a while now. He's sounding out words and writing phonetically. He's going to be so far ahead of the other kids when he finally gets into kindergarten, not this fall, but next. Bleh.
Last night, during dinner, we ended up teaching the kids about palindromes. So right after Joseph and I were done explaining what they were and coming up with an example or two, Moses jumped into the conversation and stated, "Poop is a palindrome."
Joseph and I stopped and laughed. We were both so amazed and amused that Moses would just come up with something like this on his own. Normally, we don't encourage "poop talk" at the dinner table, but this time we made an exception.
We really just cannot get over how fast Moses picks up on concepts. He came up with three or four other examples of palindromes. Akiko got frustrated that she was having trouble coming up with any at first, but felt better after she finally did.
Moses sure is amazing, though, and full of surprises.
Oh! Did you think this post was going to be about Hannah? Sorry to disappoint.
2 comments:
Moses is a super cool kid. I love him to bits.
Teach him:
Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
Post a Comment