Monday, January 9, 2012

She Can Fly, She Can Fly, She Can Fly!

Last Saturday, Akiko got invited to her friend's birthday party. It was at an indoor skydiving facility, so all the kids and a few of the parents got to fly. There was no disclaimer saying that pregnant women are advised not to fly, but the common sense in me told me I shouldn't.

So, I watched from the wings and was a little jealous that Akiko got to fly and I didn't. If I had, though, I wouldn't have been able to take pictures of her, so I guess it's better this way.

I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Flyers got their hands stamped... with my initials. How cool is that? I told Akiko that all it meant was that she belonged to me in case she got lost.

Instructors got to show off for a bit after they were through with their group. I love the look on Akiko's face. She had no idea what to expect until she saw the guy performing stunts. It got her excited and nervous for her turn to fly.

After about an hour of waiting, it was finally time to get ready. Can you see the nervous anticipation on her face?

Suiting up. She was originally given a lime green suit, which she received with a wrinkled nose, but graciously accepted anyway. Then her instructor found her a pink one instead, which made her super happy.

I was able to talk her out of wearing a dress to the party. It was at this point she realized what a wise decision that was.

Suited up and ready to fly!

This was the look on her face right before her turn.

Once she was in, she was a natural.


Look at how much fun she's having! Only a couple of the other kids looked like they were having this much fun, too. Did I mention, she was the only girl in the party (not counting the adult women)?


The giant fan blows at 92-93 mph. Strong enough to blow her hair out through her helmet.


I think this is the best picture of the event. Hilarious!

Then we got to eat pizza and cake! Yum!
The minimum age to fly is 3 years old, so Akiko really wants to go again and take Moses with us. Maybe we'll try to go after the baby is born. Good thing my kids have had a lot of practice with Joseph already.

Akiko (9 mos.), January 2006, Kula, HI
Oh, and before I forget, perhaps you'd like to see the videos of her flights.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

that's so cool!!! i went skydiving once and it was amazing. good for her!

shaunita said...

How fun! I want to do that for MY birthday:) All the fun of skydiving without the risk of plummeting to you death :)