Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Funny Kids

The following are just some of the funny things that the kids have said or done in the past week or so. They're kind of for my own record keeping, but they're also too cute not to share.

First, Akiko was working on her math homework the other day and she came across a question that she needed help with. It read something like: You have 5 buttons. What is the greatest amount of buttons you can give away? Then it gave a choice of answers: 1, 3, 5, or 6.

Akiko marked her answer as 3, but then started second guessing herself and the following conversation took place:

Akiko: Mommy, I don't get this question.
Me: Well, what is the most buttons you can give to someone else? How many buttons do you have?
A: 5.
M: Okay, let's look at the answers again. Can you give away six?
A: No.
M: So of the three choices left, what's the most buttons you have to give away?
A: Well, I would give away three, so that I have two left over for myself.
M: But that's not what the question is asking. It's asking you to give all your buttons to someone else.

Akiko felt that question was so unfair. Why should she have to give away all her imaginary buttons? Can't she just share them?

This is not the first time Akiko has tried to change the rules of her homework, but it is the funniest one in recent memory.


Second and third, Moses gets two stories.

Four year old Moses was playing with a three year old, who is actually just a couple months younger, and the other boy asked him why Moses was shorter than him if Moses was older. The other mom and I simply explained that everyone is different shapes and sizes and that it was normal. However, Moses has been mulling over the fact that he's shorter than some other kids who are younger. The other day, while we were out driving, The following dialogue took place:

Moses: Don't you think it's funny that I'm actually four years old, but I still look like I'm three?
Me: Yeah, I guess that is kind of funny.
Mo: Well, Mom, how old are you?
Me: I'm 30.
Mo: Well, guess what? You only look 29!
Me (chuckling with flattery): Well, thank you, Moses! That makes me feel so young!

The next story happened the other day while I was cooking dinner. Moses came into the kitchen and asked me for a snack. I told him that he couldn't have one because I was just about done cooking dinner, which was literally (and I mean literally, not figuratively) five minutes from being done. Moses didn't like my answer and went into the living room to throw a fit.

Five minutes later, dinner was ready and the table set, so I called the kids into the dining room to eat. Only Akiko showed up. Asher had gone down for a late nap and was still asleep, so I called for Moses again, but he still wouldn't come. I went into the living room and found he had fallen asleep on the floor, which is unusual since he doesn't nap anymore.

Oh well! I shrugged and Akiko and I blessed and ate dinner together, just the two of us.

About half an hour later, Moses woke up crying. I figured he was still in the throws of his tantrum and went to calm him down. He wouldn't calm down and tell me why he was upset or what he wanted. After about five minutes (I'm not really sure, but it seemed like an eternity) and offering him food, water, more rest, candy... anything to calm him down... he told me, through tears, that he'd like me to warm him up some dinner.

I made him a plate and carried him to the table where he started bawling again. At my wits end, but still trying really hard to stay calm, I asked him again what was wrong.

Moses: I can't eat!!!
Me: Of course you can. You just sit here, pick up your food and eat it.
Mo: But, I need two hands!!! (We were having chicken burritos that night.)
Me: You have two hands.
Mo: But, I only have one!!!
Me: Why do you only have one?
Mo: Because the other one needs to hold in my pee-pee!!!
Me (chuckling, with a hand to my forehead, because I didn't notice): Well, then hurry and go potty!!

He soon returned to his normal sweet self. Oh, the joys of deciphering tantrums!!


Last, I just have a quick quip about Asher. No dialogue, since he doesn't converse with us much yet.

Asher had a snack in a bowl before bed the other day and he refused to let go of the bowl, even after he'd fallen asleep. We had to wait until he was deep in his sleep before we could even attempt to pry it from his hands. Previous attempts would wake him up. This is how he fell asleep and he refused to budge from this position.



Asher also thinks it's really funny to play on my bed while I'm trying to make it. He especially likes to be made into it. He's pretty much claimed our bed as his own.




This last picture makes it look like he saying, "Ha ha! In your face! It's all mine now!"

No comments: