I'm not making fun of him. I just think it's cute.
Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, I'll start the post.
So, I really love it when the kids get old enough that they can start dressing themselves. It frees me up to focus on other things so that we can get out the door a little faster, although, let's be honest, it is faster if I just dress my kids myself. But the kids need to do things on their own and they get that wonderful whoosh of confidence when they get it done on their own. I mean, that's my job as a mother, right? To get them to be independent members of society?
Anyway, so Moses has finally taken the reigns and has started to get himself dressed. I mean, taking off the clothes is the easy part. They figure that out at, like, 18 months or something, but getting clothes on is a little trickier.
If you'll remember about this time last year, Moses attempted to get his shorts on by himself with some comical results, as you can see here in this post. Well, he's gotten a lot better and can now get totally dressed all on his own (with the exception of his dress shirts with the tiny little buttons). Yay!
Well, nowadays, when we're heading out the door I simply have to tell Moses to get his shoes on, which, of course, we have to locate first because I cannot, for the life of me, get him to leave his shoes by the door.
Last night, we were heading out, and since it was a little chilly, I grabbed our jackets. Moses, apparently, figured his feet would get cold, so he opted for socks and shoes, rather than his flip-flops. I thought he was going to grab his shoes, but he still put his flip-flops on over his socked feet.
So, what do you do? I mean, he's so proud of himself, but he looks so silly. Christmas socks and flip-flops? Yikes!
I tend to side with him and let him go out like this, no matter how silly it looks. Akiko comes out of the door in some really wacky get-ups sometimes, too. So, my mommy philosophy, when it comes to my children's clothing independence is, very much, a laissez-faire approach. There are rules, of course, concerning modesty and the like, but I don't and will never buy my kids immodest clothes anyway.
I will, however, teach Moses someday, when he's old enough to understand better, that socks and sandals are one of the biggest no-no's you can commit when it comes to fashion.
No comments:
Post a Comment