**Update: Now that I've finished writing it. It's impossible for me to not make this long. I'm sorry. It really should have been several individual posts as they happened, but, as you will soon find out, we were much too busy. End update.**
So, right after school got out, I got to host our summer camp playgroup. This way I got to get it over with first and relax all the rest of summer. I chose a space theme this year and decided to run the kids through a mock astronaut training camp. Here's what we did:
The kids colored astronaut badges. For some of the training activities, they got stars that they could put on their badge.
They made clay aliens the first day and painted them the second day.
They got to eat real freeze dried astronaut food, which they loved!
I made them exercise, because real astronauts have to be extremely fit.
They ran an obstacle course.
We blasted off into space with a soda bottle rocket, which was way super cool!! I purchased it here. We launched it over and over again until we lost the bottle in the neighbors yard when I was hosting Moses' group. Oh, and I also almost hit their landscapers on landing. Oops! They laughed it off. Whew!
I made rice crispy treat balls. The kids rolled out some fondant and covered them in order to make...
... rice crispy treat planets. Super yummy!
Joseph's brother and his family were visiting us the week I hosted Moses' group, so I was excited that my nephews were able to join us while Akiko was at someone else's house. Doing this is a lot of fun and the kids are already looking forward to it next year.
We also took a trip to a cute little place called Happy Hollow in San Jose with my friend Adriana and her super cute little Sofia. It's a small children's amusement park. Real close. Pretty cheap. You can take your own food in. My kids love it here and we've been several times since we moved here. I really should just get a season pass.
The "Frog Hopper." Makes your tummy tickle and is manufactured in Logan, UT (as if you really cared).
Atlas getting ready to carry the world on his shoulders.
It rained later that afternoon. Felt soooo good!
Wheeeee!
For the 4th of July, Asher was sick. Booo! I had promised the kids that they'd get to see fireworks this year since the 4th was on Sunday last year and they didn't get to see any, and personal fireworks are illegal here (but I had some leftover sparklers from the year before that we lit, so don't tell on me).
So, Joseph stayed home with the sickie and I pulled Akiko and Moses to Shoreline Park in Mountain View in this:
6.5 miles pulling more than my body weight. I only made it part way home and had to call Joseph to rescue me at 1130pm. I could not walk and was sooo sore the next day.
Akiko got her toes muddy when she stepped in some mud and lost her shoes. Then, we lost one of her muddy shoes. I backtracked forever, but did eventually find it in some tall grass off the trail. That's the short version anyway.
We enjoyed a picnic by the lake while we waited for the fireworks.
Being sandwiched between the bay and this little lake made for a surprisingly cold and humid place to watch the show. It was lovely nonetheless.
In the days before Akiko lost her two front teeth.
Moses loved that apple so much, he fell asleep with it on the way home.
A couple days later, my beautiful sister, Kristen, came out to visit for Asher's pending birthday. We loaded the kids in the van and drove to Santa Cruz to check out the beach.
Moses dug right in.
Akiko immediately ran into the water before I had even set anything down.
Only Asher's second time to the beach, but the first time he could play there.
He just dove right in.
Looks like he forgot to shave that morning.
We can't go to the beach without digging giant holes for the kids to play in.
Don't let the sunny beautiful day in the pictures fool you. It was freeeeezing! See those goosebumps on my arm? In Sunnyvale, it was a nice, hot 85° day. Perfect weather to go to the beach, right? Well, here's the thing about the CA coast: it's cold. It was 65° in Santa Cruz on the same day only an hour away. However, the CA coast is truly beautiful.
So, I kind of feel bad that I only took the kids to their favorite place on earth only once during the summer. But now that we're going to Maui in a couple weeks, I feel much less bad. Besides, I took them to the pool plenty of times. Living on Maui has completely spoiled me for beaches.
A couple days later was Asher's 1st birthday. We went out to lunch and then drove down to Campbell to ride:
I really wanted to do this for Moses' birthday, but they're closed in the winter. Fun and cheap thrills. The kids loved this little train.
Baby Hannah also came along for the ride. Kristen was there, too.
Asher only tolerated his hat for a few moments.
We stayed and played at the park for a bit. Then we came home to the cake. Okay, so I totally cheated and bought a ginormous Costco cake, because I really love the pastry cream filling. I justified it with the fact that I would be feeding the missionaries the next night and that Joseph's brother, Carl, and his family would be with us for the week. We ate almost all of it. I think that took care of my Costco cake fix.
First, Asher picked off the sprinkles.
Then he scraped off the frosting.
Then that little piece of cake didn't have a chance.
After we got the little guy cleaned up, it was time for presents. Isn't this card from Akiko super sweet?
We got him a toy grill because he wouldn't keep away from Joseph's. He loves it and stays away from the big one now that he's got his own. And thank you everyone who sent presents his way. We missed partying with you.
I would have thrown a larger party with our friends, but I neither had the time nor the energy. The small celebration we did have with just my little family and Kristen was just what I wanted anyway.
Almost done.
We also went to the Jelly Belly factory for a free tour where they gave us free samples and I purchased a bag of Belly Flops and got addicted to the beans. Thank you again, Costco, for taking care of that fix.
Next time someone in my family comes to visit, we are doing this tour. The kids thought it was so fun. There was soooo much sugar and cool robots and you get to keep that sweet paper hat. Or, if any of my friends in the area want to go anytime, gimme a call.
We also spent a day at the San Francisco Zoo, where Moses was still young enough to get in for free. I only had to pay admission for Akiko and myself. I took a lot of pictures, but I'll spare you all.
The hippo was really fun to watch. It was really active and gave us a big, splashy show.
There was a special tarantula exhibit there. I didn't go near it. Akiko went and said it was creepy. Moses had no comment.
But, my kids do make really cute giant spiders.
So, wanna hear the saddest thing ever? I had never ever been to any other zoo in my life besides Hogle. SF blows Hogle away. It's definitely worth the trip into the city. That's because you don't have to drive downtown.
I'm going to check out the Oakland Zoo next year.
So, besides all that fun stuff, we had family come to visit and stay with us, and a day at the ER, tons of pool time, there was a trip to the Children's Discovery Museum that I failed to bring my camera to, and these:
My children volunteering to wash our sliding glass door.
Moses tripping at the park and bleeding like crazy while we waited for Joseph to meet us after work. He ended up with a fat lip for several days. This was about ten days after our trip to the ER for his concussion, but I didn't say anything about it because I didn't want you all to worry too much about him.
And Asher tripped and ripped out half of his eyelashes. They have since grown back in.
How was your summer?
2 comments:
sounds like you had a fun summer! other than the er trip..
Yukiko - you have a lot of great pictures in your Summer Fun post.
I found your blog and thought you would like our website: www.MommyGiggles.com.
Mommy Giggles is a site where moms submit funny pictures to share with other moms to
get a giggle out of. They can either be pictures of their kids or of other hilarious “mommy moments”
I am contacting you to see if you have a funny picture that we could post – we would of course give you the credit, and also post your blog (if you want). There is a $25
Amazon Gift card drawing to everyone who submits a photo each month.
Hope you will get a “giggle” out of our site.
Warmest Regards,
Heather Matthews
Email Us A Picture - mommygiggles@comcast.net
Like Us On Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mommy-Giggles/180580521989697
Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/MommiGiggles
Post a Comment