We've got this couch. It's a really nice couch. Joseph's former business partner simply gave it to him because he didn't need/want it anymore. That was a little over 9 years ago. It's starting to look a little trashed, especially with three energetic little ones jumping, flopping, and spilling on it.
The pillows have lost their fluff and become slouchy:
Both seat cushions have worn through, but at least only on one side each:
The piping has become exposed and there are stains that sometimes wash out and sometimes don't.:
The frame of the couch itself is still in great condition. The great thing about this couch is that all the upholstery can be taken off and thrown in the wash (kind of like an Ikea couch, but this is nicer and more expensive brand of furniture).
Joseph and I have been debating whether or not to replace the couch. Neither of us really want to. It holds a lot of sentimental value to us. We fell in love with each other on this couch. I slept on this couch for three days when I got a really bad case of the flu and Joseph took care of me, despite having the flu himself. This couch is like part of the family.
I'd been looking at furniture on craigslist and window shopping around, but was not finding anything I really liked nor did I really want to spend that kind of cash when there are other needs to be taken care of.
I decided that we're going to keep the couch and that I was going to make a new slipcover for it. I started shopping around for upholstery fabric.
Unfortunately, upholstery fabric does not come cheap and there are literally thousands of types and patterns to choose from. I was getting a little overwhelmed. However, a few stores were having sales on fabric and, browsing online, I was able to find a couple that seemed like reasonable choices for about $30/yd. I was going to need about 9 yds. of fabric.
Still, a pricey undertaking, especially after you consider the time it would take to finish the project. This is not including replacing the pillows. This is just for the seat cushions and slipcover.
I needed to check out the fabrics and literally get a feel for them. Akiko had the day off school, so I ended up taking all three kids around that day. Fun times, I tell you. Fun times.
I wasn't able to find in store the same fabrics I found online, but I was able to get a few ideas. Then I stumbled on a bolt of fabric that was pretty much the exact same fabric that currently covered our couch. It was beige, rather than the mossy green that currently covers it. I was kind of hoping to find a dark gray or a nice blue, but beige I could definitely work with. Beige means I can have more fun with the fabric choices for the pillows.
The best part: this bolt of fabric was going for a mere $3/yd. $27 for fabric rather than $270? I'll take it!! The reason it was so cheap, was because it was the end of the bolt and was already cut up into a few pieces. We barely got 9 yds., but the pieces are still large enough to take care of my needs.
So, yesterday afternoon, I got the seam ripper out and took apart one of the seat cushions. I used the old fabric to make a new pattern and salvaged the zipper and piping. It came along more quickly than I thought and, from the time I took off the old seat cushion to slipping the new one on, I finished one cushion cover in one afternoon and evening.
| Moses couldn't help posing for me on the new cushion. |
... but once this project is done, it's going to make a world of difference.
Moses was so excited about me "making a new couch" and kept pestering me to work on it some more today. I have a lot of other things to take care of, so I took a break today. I'll do the other cushion tomorrow. I had the smarts to cut out the pieces for both cushions at the same time, so it should take only a couple hours to rip out the zipper and piping and put it all together.
The slipcover is going to be a harder project, but I'm excited. I hope to have it done before the baby comes.
Things I've done so far on this project that are new to me:
- I've never sewn a zipper in place. It was way easier than I thought.
- I've never sewn piping in place. It was way easier than I thought, too. The curves were a little tricky, but I got them looking pretty good for a novice.
- I've never used the zipper foot, or even changed the foot on my sewing machine, ever. I'm glad I have one though. It made sewing the piping in a breeze.
- I've never changed the thread tension on my machine before. I had to, though, because I was using a heavier upholstery thread. I mean, I want these covers to last for at least ten more years.
I'll do another post once the project is done. I'm really pumped now that I've got the one cover done.
1 comment:
Yay for fabric at 1/10th the price! I was stressing out a little bit about your $300 makeover. I can't wait to sit on your "new" couch! AND I can't believe you can accomplish a project like that with kids underfoot. I swear, I can barely load the dishwasher while the kids are awake. I've got to figure out how to function more with them nearby. You impress me!
Post a Comment