Saturday, November 26, 2011

It's All About the Message

A few things happened this morning that I'd like to share. I mostly want to write them down so that I can look back and remember these things.

First: Moses was the first to wake up and get out of bed this morning. He came into the room and snuggled with me for a minute before he so sweetly asked if he could watch tv. This is something that actually happens pretty frequently. I love snuggling with that kid. He's so cuddly. I cherish it as much as I can, because I know someday he'll stop doing it.


Second: A few minutes later, Asher woke up and got out of bed. He came into the room first thing, like he always does. Instead of just climbing into bed with us, he picked up a balloon that he'd been playing with the night before, and threw it at my head and giggled. The balloon would bounce off my head and back towards him, where he would fetch it and throw it at my head again. I'm just glad it was a balloon and not a hard plastic toy. Asher is such a silly goofball.


Third: After a while, I made my way out of bed and into the living room. Moses was watching his show, Asher was wandering about, and Akiko was sitting on the couch reading a Friend. She asked if I would read some stories with her, which I obliged. She wanted to read to me the stories that real children send in about service they provided for others.

Now, Akiko loves to read and she reads really well. We're very proud of all the hard work she puts into it. When she comes across a hard word, she does the best she can to sound it out, before I will correct her and tell her what the word is.

Well, as she was reading, she came across the word "dispenser," which took her a moment, but she got it. I praised her and, without thinking, said, "Great job, Akiko."

She stopped reading, looked at me, and said, "Mom. It's not about the reading. It's about the girl doing service for someone else."

That girl makes me so proud.


Even if she is a bit silly sometimes.

No comments: