Monday, July 18, 2011

Ah, Nuts!

Yesterday we found out that Asher is allergic to peanuts. We had peanut butter on toast for breakfast and he broke out into hives all over his little body after eating it.

At first, he had gotten a little bit on his finger and rubbed his eye, so the whole side of his face started getting bumpy. Joseph thought that maybe he had been bitten by something, but it soon became apparent that he was reacting to something he'd come in contact with. Since it was before church, we got him into the shower to see if that would help. As I was drying him off, I started noticing bumps all over his arms and legs. I thought his eczema was just flaring up and just smeared his rx cream all over and got him dressed. We headed off to church soon after thinking no more of it.

At church, Joseph walks with Asher in the halls during Sunday school and Priesthood (you know how 12 mo. old toddlers are in class). Asher was rolling on the floor and his shirt lifted up and Joseph saw these huge red bumps all over his torso. He came in to the primary room to let me know that he was taking Asher home to see if he could help relieve his itching, because, by that time, Asher had started scratching all over.

Joseph had no idea how bad it was until he got home and took Asher's clothes off. Hives were everywhere.

Pictures aren't that great. Taking pictures of babies on the move is hard with a camera phone.

They look much worse in real life.

Poor little Asher!

After Joseph had picked Akiko, Moses and me up from church, and we talked about it, we determined that he had a bad reaction to the peanut butter that morning.

Since there seemed to be nothing else wrong with him, I decided not to call the doctor until this morning. If he'd had any breathing problems, we would have taken him straight to the hospital, which is only about half a mile from church.

I took him into the doctor this morning where our suspicions were confirmed. His hives were gone, but the redness where they were was still prevalent. We've got an appointment to go see the immunologist next week. I'm not totally sure what is in store for that visit, so we'll burn that bridge when we get there.

So, for the time being, Asher has to stay away from peanuts and I get to keep antihistamine with me at all times. 

I guess this also means no Mini Snickers for me while I'm still nursing. Nuts! Those are my favorite. (Pun completely intended.)

2 comments:

Danielle said...

that stinks!! this just happened to a friend of mine, and her dr told her, if she kept her little one away from peanuts for a good while, the chances of her outgrowing it were pretty good. ??

Yukiko said...

I've been reading that only about 1 in 4 kids will outgrow it. I know a few adults who are still allergic to them. I guess only time will tell. =/