Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hey, I've Had Practice

This morning I had the pleasure to watch my nephews, Noah and Daniel. They are four-and-a-half and three, respectively. We saw them for a little bit in November, when grandma was dying, but I really haven't seen them since we moved to California over a year ago. We had a blast. I love those boys!

Well, Noah, at his tender young age, has become quite an avid "gamer." His term, not mine. He got pretty excited when I told him I'd play Super Mario Bros. with him.

So, he set us up a two-player game: he as Mario, I as Luigi. Well, he almost got to the end of level 1-2 when he lost his life down a shaft, then it was my turn. I kept hearing, "Wow!" and "You're really good!" until I passed the point where Mario had fallen. Then silence.

I thought nothing of it. I was having fun. I didn't think I'd make it very far at all since it had been many years since I played the game. Then I heard Noah whimpering about level 2-3. I turned to look at him and found a frown on his otherwise smiley face. I kept playing for a bit. More whimpering.

Finally, I asked him what was wrong. No response, just more whimpering, but it was sounding closer to crying. Finally, I got to level 3-1. Noah was not a happy gamer, so I turned to him and asked, "Are you upset that I keep playing?"

I received a glare in response.

"Would you like to play Luigi for me?"

"Okay!" And so I relinquished my controller to him.

After he had exhausted all the lives of both Mario and Luigi, he turned to me and said, "I think I just like playing one player when you're here." And then he commented on how surprisingly good my Super Mario skills were. 

I told him that I had played the game a lot when I was younger. It was then that I noticed the copyright date on the title screen: 1985.

"Hey Noah, guess what?" I stated, "This game was brand new when I was your age. This came out when I was four years old. It's given me a lot of time to practice." 

Noah's eyes went huge with awe as he said with reverence, "Wow. This game must be really old."




Thanks Noah!! For the record, I never have beaten the game. You'll have one up on me in no time.

2 comments:

Robert said...

I've never beaten it either. I just lost patience as a kid and can't stand the eye strain as an adult.

Jessie Eyre said...

Those scripture bags are KILLER! How cool! And Mario Brothers!? So classic! Thinking of you! Hope you're well!