Thursday, December 23, 2010

Inchworm

So, in the last couple of weeks, I've often been finding Asher where I did not put him. For example, I'll change his diaper in the middle of the living room floor, go outside to throw the diaper in the garbage and come back to find Asher had rolled under the side table or something. Thus far, I'm pretty certain that Asher's movements have had no motivation and he's just been squirming and rolling randomly around.

Last night, however, we were on Skype with my sister, Kristen. I had the computer on one side of the bed with the camera pointed at Asher. He kept inching forward so that he could pound the keys. This was the first time I noticed him purposefully move towards something in order to get to it.


So, while this is a proud moment for me, it also makes me kind of sad that he's growing so quickly. I've lamented before to my friends that the last five and a half months have been such a blur. It's been one thing after another: Asher is born. Akiko starts kindergarten. Moses starts preschool. Halloween. Thanksgiving. Christmas. On and on and on. Thank heavens for this blog, or I'd have no idea what we've been doing.

He's not quite six months old and already he's finding motivation to move towards his prize. That seems early to me and it's definitely earlier than the other kids.

Akiko only army crawled and rolled for about two months while she was simultaneously pulling herself up and cruising. She walked at 9 months 1 week.

Moses actually crawled for a bit, but he was well past 6 months before he started that. He walked at 9 months 3 weeks.

I keep trying to tell my kids to stop growing so quickly. Today, I noticed one of my favorite shirts of Akiko's is starting to get small. (Kristen, it's that darling one you bought in England.) They never listen.

Next thing I know, Asher will be cutting his first teeth. I remember crying when Akiko cut hers right after she turned six months. That's when it dawned on me that these kids aren't going to stay little forever.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed that video of Asher. He's been inching forward a lot today. Now I really have to get on the ball and keep the floor cleared of anything he can get into trouble with. *Sigh!*

Yeah, this day, for real, will be coming up sooner than I hope, too.

1 comment:

HeatherH said...

Oh! He looks so good! I can't believe he's starting to move already! Liam is still content to lay on his back and play with his feet. Hasn't even rolled from his back although I think he's close. Yes, it is sad that they grow so fast but just remember every new stage is so exciting!